The 22 amazing natural home treatments suggested here remedies colitis flare ups due to their amazing anti-inflammatory properties. Many people suffer from ulcerative colitis flare ups. It is not a comfortable experience but before we dive head first into the natural remedies for ulcerative colitis flare ups, let us find out more it, what can cause a flare up and how to avoid them.
What is ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease of the inner most lining of the colon,rectum and anus. Sores and ulcers develop in the colon, rectum and anus. Some people have a larger surface area of the disease than others. It an over activity of your immune system to substances (mainly bacteria) that are present in the affected areas.
The disease usually starts out mild then symptoms get worse over time. Some people experience long periods free of symptoms followed by periods where they are symptomatic.
What is an ulcerative colitis flare up? How long does colitis flare up last?
An ulcerative colitis flare up is the period in which the inflammation of the bowels is not in remission. During this period, people with ulcerative colitis are symptomatic and in need of treatment. While there is no known cure for ulcerative colitis, except surgical removal of the affected area, there are many natural remedies that can get rid of the symptoms and afford great comfort to these patients.
What are the symptoms of an ulcerative colitis flare up?
Colitis flare up symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
- Rectal pain
- Blood or pus in stool
- Painful diarrhea
- Urgency of stool
- Constipation regardless of urgency to evacuate stool
- Frequent, loud bowel sounds
- Weight loss
What can cause a flare up of ulcerative colitis?
- BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH
Food that causes colitis flare up include:
- Dairy products
- Raw or uncooked vegetables
- Unpeeled fruits
- Dried fruits
- Whole grains
- Foods containing caffeine
- Spicy food
- Grizzle or other non tender meats
Remember, it is not advised to cut these from the diet completely but if you notice that they are triggers, avoid these foods and substitute with other healthy choices.
What foods to eat during ulcerative colitis flare up? Ulcerative colitis flare up diet
There are many safe food choices for people with ulcerative colitis. These will not aggravate flare ups of ulcerative colitis. Some foods may even work with your body to lengthen the remission periods.
Foods to eat with colitis:
- Fermented foods like home-made yogurt and pickles
- Tender lean meats
- Oily fish
- puree vegetable soups
- Refined flour products
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- cooked fruits and vegetables
- Essential oils
- White rice
- Fruit sauces
- Nut butters
22 Natural Remedies for ulcerative colitis flare up
1. Saffron for inflammation in ulcerative colitis
Saffron stigma can be used to heal the inflammation in ulcerative colitis. It also reduces the pain and cleanses the digestive tract. These combined effects makes saffron a very effective home remedy for ulcerative colitis symptoms.
How to prepare saffron remedy for ulcerative colitis
- Add 3 cups of water to a pot and put to heat.
- Add 4 strips of saffron stigma and allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the heat and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid in a container and drink.
- Do this once per day as needed
2. Thyme infusion or thyme oil for ulcerative colitis flare ups
Thyme is very effective for reducing symptoms of ulcerative colitis. This is because it has a lot of beneficial properties including carvacrol that produce the effects most hunted by patients suffering from an ulcerative colitis flare up.
It has antioxidant, antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties. It cleanses and reduces pain and inflammation of the colon. There are two ways to take this remedy for ulcerative colitis flare ups.
How to prepare thyme remedy for ulcerative colitis flare up
1. Thyme oil
- Add four drops of thyme oil to two tablespoons of honey
- Take twice daily to reduce symptoms
2. Thyme infusion
- Add about 1 stalk of thyme to in a container
- Add 2 cups of boiling water to the container
- Cover the container tightly
- Leave the container to sit for 15 minutes.
- Drink 1 cup twice daily
3. Bromelain for inflammation in ulcerative colitis
Bromelain is a mixture of enzymes found in the stem of pineapples. Bromelain is one of the most famous and widely recognized treatments for ulcerative colitis flare ups. Bromelain is sold in pharmacies and herbal stores almost everywhere.
It is also very affordably sold on amazon. You can also prepare it at home from pineapple. The process is simple and all you will need is a juicer, a knife, a cheese cloth and pineapples
How to extract bromelain from pineapples for ulcerative colitis treatment and prevention of flare ups
- Peel 2 lb pineapples and remove the stem
- Cut the stem into small pieces and place it in the juicer
- Remove the juice from the juicer and strain it using a cheese cloth
- Drink this juice once per day
4. Turmeric curcumin for ulcerative colitis
Turmeric curcumin is a well tolerated treatment option for ulcerative colitis. The curcumin in turmeric is said to have anti-inflammatory properties that will help to keep ulcerative colitis flare ups in remission when added to the diet on a regular basis.
How to use turmeric on a daily basis to prevent ulcerative colitis flare ups
- People will use turmeric instead of commercially made curry.
- It can be used to add spice to your drinks
- May be added to your tea
- Can be added to scrambles eggs
- May be used to give color or additional flavor to smoothies
- May be sprinkled in rice
Supplements of turmeric curcumin are also available in food stores and on amazon
5. Probiotic reduce ulcerative colitis flare ups significantly!
Probiotic can be as effective as the conventional treatments for ulcerative colitis if used properly and regularly. This is needed for three main reasons:
- A healthy amount of good bacteria will prevent overgrowth of bacteria that promotes inflammation of the large intestines. This prevents flare ups of
- It promotes the release of mucous to cover the lining of the intestines which also protect the intestinal lining from the agents that cause inflammation. This
helps to increase remission periods of ulcerative colitis.
- When good bacteria flourish, they promote anti-inflammatory mechanisms while bad bacteria promotes inflammation. This anti-inflammatory effect reduces the likelihood of a flare up of ulcerative colitis.
Every patient with ulcerative colitis should own a yogurt maker! They are very
affordable on amazon so you have absolutely zero excuses why you should not own one. This is the easiest way to get a healthy dose of naturally prepared probiotics.
You could also buy natural probiotic supplements. Overall, you should be eating fermented foods that have probiotic actions on the intestines.
6. Ginkgo biloma reduces the inflammatory process
Ginkgo biloma leaves have been used traditionally in many third world countries to combat ulcerative colitis flare ups.
Ginko leaves have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties due to the flavonoids and terpenoids present.
How to make Ginkgo biloma infusion remedy for ulcerative colitis flare ups
- Obtain dried Ginkgo biloma leaves (affordable on amazon) or fresh leaves from a Ginko biloma plant if there is one available near you.
- If it is obtained from the tree, place the leaves in the sun to dry or use the microwave to dry them.
- Measure and add 200mg of dried leaves to a glass container .
- Add 650 ml of Alcohol (Vodka) to the Ginkgo leaves.
- Cover the container and leave this to set in a dark place for about 28 days
- Shake well at least once per day.
- Strain the constituents and store the liquid in a glass container.
- Take one teaspoon of ginkgo biloma infusion each day to prevent ulcerative colitis flare up.
7. Psyllium for gut health in ulcerative colitis
Psyllium is used to reduce ulcerative colitis flare ups by making it easier for stool to pass through the intestines. This decreases the a buildup of feces that may irritate the lining of the intestines.
Surprisingly, it also reduces diarrhea also helps with cases of constipation. Psyllium is easy to use and only needs to be taken once per day.
Dosage of Psyllium to be taken daily:
- Psyllium husk powder – 1 tsp in 16 oz of water once daily. Drink at least 10 glasses of water daily when taking psyllium.
- Psyllium husk 500mg tablets taken once daily
- Psyllium seeds (more fiber, better for UC) – May be used on cookies as sprinkles when grated or crushed into powder and taken 1 tsp per day added to various dishes.
8. Fish oil for ulcerative colitis
Fish oil contains omega 3 fatty acids that reduce inflammation. Fish oil is therefore very effective for ulcerative colitis flare ups. Popping one 600mg fish oil tablet per day will be enough to meet your RDA. It would also be beneficial for people with ulcerative colitis to have a diet rich in oily fishes.
9. Fennel seeds infusion for ulcerative colitis flare ups
Fennel seeds are good for reducing inflammation in people with ulcerative colitis because it inhibits one of the major inducer of inflammation. It also detoxifies the body, lowers cholesterol and aids in digestion. Therefore fennel seeds should be taken even if you do not have ulcerative colitis.
How much fennel seeds you need per day to reduce ulcerative colitis flare ups!—— Just 1/2 tsp boiled in one cup of water once per day!
10. Boswellia for ulcerative colitis
Many people in india have found out this magic trick to get rid of ulcerative colitis flare ups. Boswellia extract is an amazing anti-inflammatory agent that continues to work wonders all over the world for people suffering from ulcerative colitis flare ups.
11. Milfoil/yarrow infusion for ulcerative colitis flare
Milfoil tea, also called yarrow, can be used as a part of the ulcerative colitis treatment plan to prevent flare ups due to its anti-inflammatory nature. Use two spoons of milfoil to 1 cup of water. Sweeten with honey and drink twice daily. Milfoil can be purchased in food stores or on amazon.
12. passion flower infusion and extract
Passion flower helps to reduce ulcerative colitis flare ups because it has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Making the infusion of passion flower is pretty simple. Just add 1 cup of water and 1tsp of passion flower to a pot and boil for 15 minutes. Sweeten with honey.
They are also available in capsules.
13. Flaxseed oil or tea for ulcerative colitis flare ups
Flaxseed may be used to make teas that are good for reducing inflammation in ulcerative colitis. Boil 1 cup of water and add 1tsp of grated flaxseed. Allow to boil for 5 minutes then allow to steep for 5 more. Strain using a cheese cloth and sweeten with honey. Drink this tea once per day.
It may be easier however to just purchase a bottle of flaxseed oil as this will work faster and provide a better consistency of stool.
14. Aloe Vera for ulcerative colitis flare ups
Aloe Vera gel is very beneficial to people with ulcerative colitis. It aids in digestion, promotes smooth transit of stool and has anti-inflammatory effects.
AVOID ALOE VERA JUICE! IT CAUSES DIARRHEA IN UC PATIENTS! USE WHOLE ALOE VERA GEL OR SUPPLEMENT!
15. Super Fruity Smoothie With Psyllium powder for Ulcerative Colitis
Add this to your ulcerative colitis flare up diet!
NB. To use psyllium seeds powder instead of psyllium husk powder, crush seeds and use in the same proportion as the husk powder
These can also be used to decrease symptoms of ulcerative colitis
16. Bloodroot tea
17. Coriander infusion
18. Blessed thistle oil extract
19. Bitter gourd infusion
20. Agave sap
21. Liquid Chlorophyll
Feel free to leave your comments below to let me know what works for you!